We are OPEN for novels, flash fiction and stories for our upcoming steampunk anthology until 31 May 2021
We are temporarily CLOSED for short stories.
Query us for non-fiction and artwork. We need reviews, interviews and articles, covers and interior art.
For all submissions:
We are a speculative and literary fiction publisher. Interpret that as you will when deciding what to submit, but bear in mind that we are unlikely to publish genre fiction without a speculative element (science fiction, fantasy or horror). We pay for fiction.
- submit to email@example.com and please follow our guidelines.
- subject line: SUBMISSION – category (eg flash) – story name – your surname – approx word count. Something like: SUBMISSION – short story – Mindbending – Bilsborough – 4,200
- simultaneous submissions are fine but no multiples or self-published work. No reprints, apart from the Steampunk Anthology or by invitation.
- Akways add a cover note in your email.
For flash fiction and short stories:
- we want speculative fiction only (SFF): flash fiction of 250-1,000 words (firm) for publication online only in our Wyld Flash series and steampunk stories of up to 10,000 words (firm) for our upcoming steampunk anthology (print and digital).
- submit in Standard Manuscript Format. (contact details and word count at the top of your manuscript essential) with your story as an email attachment (doc, docx or RTF – definitely not PDF). Add a short cover note. If we publish you we’ll ask for a three line (approx) bio, so you might consider sending us one up-front.
- we pay £0.01 per word for print and digital rights (to a maximum of £75) with a 180 day exclusivity period (half rate for reprints and no exclusivity – steampunk anthology only).
- we want short stories of 2,500-7,500 words (firm) for publication in print and digitally in Wyldblood Magazine. (submissions temporarily closed for short stories)
- we’re looking for speculative fiction and literary fiction. We only want original work between 50-100,000 words (firm). At this time we’re not publishing novellas. We publish in print and digitally.
- please send us a cover note in the body of your email with some information about yourself, and attach a one to two page synopsis (single spaced) and the first three chapters (or approx 10,000 words). We’ll ask if we want to see the full manuscript.
- payment for novels is royalty only, but our rates are competitive.
If you’re going to be submitting work to us, here are a few things you may want to bear in mind. We’ll be updating this list regularly.
- don’t send us things we haven’t asked for – and definitely no poetry.
- we’ve seen many things many times so be original.
- we can tell if you know your craft – don’t send us your first draft and make sure you’ve covered the basics. It doesn’t have to be perfect – but it does have to be professional.
- look at our published stories to get a feel for what we buy.
- we’re not into gratuitous gore or erotica – don’t send us anything you wouldn’t want your kid sister to see.
- be sparing with the swearing.
- thoughtful, character based stories are our thing.
- don’t shy away from politics or religion but anything racist or deliberately offensive will get you canned. And don’t be preachy.
- no fan-fic – we’ve no desire to get sued.
- Enthusiasm, perseverance and an obvious willingness to take feedback and respond positively go a long way with us.
We aim to respond to flash fiction submissions within a few days and novels within two months (longer if we ask for a full manuscript).
We aim to respond to all outstanding submissions from our last short story call by the end of June.
We will begin reading for the Steampunk Anthology after the closing date (31 May) and we hope to respond to all submissions by the end of July.
Sign up to our monthly newsletter with free flash