We are OPEN for novel submissions.
We are OPEN for short story submissions until 14th April
We are OPEN for submissions to our upcoming steampunk anthology
We are OPEN for flash fiction submissions
We are a speculative and literary fiction publisher. Interpret that as you will when deciding what to submit, but bear in mind that we are unlikely to publish genre fiction without a speculative element (science fiction, fantasy or horror).
For all submissions:
- submit to firstname.lastname@example.org in Standard Manuscript Format. (contact details and word count at the top of your manuscript essential) either single (preferred) or double spaced (email attachment as doc, docx or RTF – definitely not PDF).
- subject line: SUBMISSION – story name – your surname – approx word count.
- simultaneous submissions are fine but no multiples, reprints or self-published work.
- Submit your work properly and follow our guidelines, please. Your submission has to be in standard manuscript format which has very specific formatting rules – check link to see what they are. Way too many of the submissions we receive ignore this, which is perplexing and causes much unnecessary work at our end, making it hard to like your story.
For flash fiction and short stories:
- we want speculative fiction only (SFF) for Wyldblood Magazine and Wyld Flash.
- we want flash fiction of 250-1,000 words (firm) for publication online only in our Wyld Flash series.
- we want short stories of 2,500-7,500 words (firm) for publication in print and digitally in Wyldblood Magazine.
- we want short stories of up to 10,000 words (firm) for our upcoming steampunk anthology (print and digital).
- we pay £0.01 per word for print and digital rights (to a maximum of £75) with a 180 day exclusivity period.
- a short cover note would be appreciated – also if you don’t write anything in the body of the email it’ll probably be flagged as spam and never get to us. If we publish you we’ll ask for a three line (approx) bio, so you might consider sending us one up-front.
- we’re looking for speculative fiction and literary fiction – but no other genre fiction (crime etc) without a speculative element, please.
- we only want original work between 50-100,000 words (firm). We publish in print and digitally.
- please send us a cover note in the body of your email with some information about yourself, and attach a one to two page synopsis (single spaced) and the first three chapters (or approx 10,000 words). We’ll ask if we want to see the full manuscript.
- payment for novels is royalty only, but our rates are competitive.
If you’re going to be submitting work to us, here are a few things you may want to bear in mind. We’ll be updating this list regularly.
- don’t send us things we haven’t asked for – and definitely no poetry.
- we’ve seen many things many times so be original.
- we can tell if you know your craft – don’t send us your first draft and make sure you’ve covered the basics. It doesn’t have to be perfect – but it does have to be professional.
- look at our published stories to get a feel for what we buy.
- we’re not into gratuitous gore or erotica – don’t send us anything you wouldn’t want your kid sister to see.
- be sparing with the swearing.
- thoughtful, character based stories are our thing.
- we don’t like hand-wavey sci-fi or unpronounceable fantasy names.
- don’t shy away from politics or religion but anything racist or deliberately offensive will get you canned. And don’t be preachy.
- no fan-fic – we’ve no desire to get sued.
- Enthusiasm, perseverance and an obvious willingness to take feedback and respond positively go a long way with us.
For short fiction, you should hear from us within six weeks, with final decisions for this round in mid May. Flash may be quicker but novels will take longer (query after 90 days).
Sign up to our monthly newsletter with free flash