We are OPEN for flash fiction (up to 1,000 words)
We are CLOSED for other fiction at the moment (short stories, novellas and novels).
Query us for non-fiction and artwork at email@example.com We need reviews, interviews and articles, covers and interior art. Put ‘QUERY‘ in your email’s subject line, please, otherwise we may miss it.
We are a speculative fiction publisher. Interpret that as you will when deciding what to submit, but bear in mind that we are unlikely to publish fiction without a speculative element (science fiction, fantasy or horror). We pay for fiction.
For all submissions:
- submit to firstname.lastname@example.org and please follow our guidelines. Subject line: SUBMISSION – category (one of novel, novella, short, flash, non-fic, or art) – story name – your surname – approx word count. Always add a cover note in your email (we’ll probably just send you a polite rejection without reading your story if you don’t).
- simultaneous submissions are fine but only one story at a time in each category and reprints only by invitation.
For flash fiction and short stories:
- we want speculative fiction only (SFF) of 250 -7,000 words (firm) for publication online in our Wyld Flash series and/or Wyldblood Magazine.(print and digital). We pay £0.01 per word for print and digital rights (to a maximum of £75) with a 180 day exclusivity period (half rate for reprints and no exclusivity).
- Send your story as an email attachment (doc, docx or RTF – definitely not PDF) and not in the body of the email, and add a short cover note. If we publish you we’ll ask for a three line (approx) bio, so you might consider sending us one up-front.
- We’ll only consider stories submitted in Standard Manuscript Format. Your legal name, full contact details and word count at the top of your manuscript are essential – and indent your paragraphs (apart from the first one, and don’t use tabs). Standard Manuscript Format looks like this (with page numbers from the second page onwards):
For novels and novellas:
- we publish science fiction and fantasy. We only want original work from 20,000 to 110,000 words (firm). We publish novels (over 50,000 words) in print and digitally. Shorter work digital only. Payment for novels and novellas is royalty only, but our rates are competitive.
- please send us a cover note in the body of your email with some information about yourself (including your full contact details and the full length of your story), and attach a one to two page synopsis (single spaced) and the first three chapters (or approx 10,000 words). We’ll ask if we want to see the full manuscript. Send your story/synopsis as an email attachment (doc, docx or RTF – definitely not PDF)
We need covers for Wyldblood Magazine and interior illustations (one per story). We pay £70 for original covers and £12 per illustration. Query us with samples at email@example.com
If you’re going to be submitting work to us, here are a few things you may want to bear in mind:
- don’t send us things we haven’t asked for – and definitely no poetry.
- witches, wizards, werewolves, elves, goblins and the usual fantasy tropes are currently a hard sell for us.
- we’ve seen many things many times so be original.
- we can tell if you know your craft – don’t send us your first draft and make sure you’ve covered the basics. It doesn’t have to be perfect – but it does have to be professional.
- look at our published stories to get a feel for what we buy.
- we’re not into gratuitous gore or erotica – don’t send us anything you wouldn’t want your kid sister to see.
- No overtly Christian or pro-religion pieces, please.
- be sparing with the swearing.
- thoughtful, character based stories are our thing.
- anything racist or deliberately offensive will get you canned. And don’t be preachy.
- no fan-fic – we’ve no desire to get sued.
- enthusiasm, perseverance and an obvious willingness to take feedback and respond positively go a long way with us.
We aim to respond to short submissions within a few weeks and novels within three months (longer if we ask for a full manuscript). We’re currently running late with our novel submissions so please bear with us.
Subscribe to our monthly newsletter here.
Follow us for update posts (once or twice a week) here.
Download a free sampler of Wyldblood Magazine here.
Buy the latest Wyldblood Magazine here or get a six issue subscription here.
Read an interview in Black Gate with Wyldblood editor Mark Bilsborough here.
Read the Milford blog about Wyldblood here.
See us reviewed here and here.