We are CLOSED for short story submissions until 14th March.
We are OPEN for flash fiction submissions until 31st January.
We are temporarily CLOSED for novels but will reopen soon.
We are looking for flash fiction between 250-750 words. If your story falls outside these firm word limits please don’t send it to us. These word counts have changed since our last submissions round to reflect our current preferences. We pay £0.01 per word for first World rights (electrionic and print) for 180 day exclusivity. Simultaneous submissions are fine but no multiples or reprints.
Submit to firstname.lastname@example.org in Standard Manuscript Format. (contact details and word count at the top of your manuscript essential) either single (preferred) or double space (email attachment as doc, docx or RTF). Subject line: SUBMISSION – story name – your surname – approx word count. A short cover note would be appreciated – and if we publish you we’ll ask for a three line (approx) bio so you might consider sending us one up-front.
We will reopen for novels and novellas in 2021 (date to follow). When we do, we will only want work between 50-100,000 words. We publish in print and electronically and pay on a royalties-only basis (competitive rates).
We are a speculative and literary fiction magazine. Interpret that as you will when deciding what to submit, but bear in mind that we are unlikely to publish genre fiction without a speculative element (science fiction, fantasy or horror).
If you’re going to be submitting work to us, here are a few things you may want to bear in mind. We’ll be updating this list regularly.
- it has to be in standard manuscript format which has very specific formatting rules – check link to see what they are. Way too many of the submissions we receive ignore this, which is perplexing and causes much unnecessary work at our end, making it hard to like your story.
- no werewolves for now (we’re sated). We’re still seeing these come through! Stop.
- don’t send us things we haven’t asked for – and definitely no poetry,
- we’ve seen many things many times so be original.
- we’re picky buyers.
- we can tell if you know your craft – don’t send us your first draft and make sure you’ve covered the basics. It doesn’t have to be perfect – but it does have to be professional.
- look at our published stories to get a feel for what we buy.
- submit your work properly and follow our guidelines, please.
- we’re not into gratuitous gore or erotica – don’t send us anything you wouldn’t want your kid sister to see.
- be sparing with the swearing.
- thoughtful, character based stories are our thing.
- don’t shy away from politics or religion but anything racist or deliberately offensive will get you canned.
- no fan-fic – we’ve no desire to get sued.
- Enthusiasm, perseverance and an obvious willingness to take feedback and respond positively go a long way with us.
For short fictiion our process is a first read where we’ll either reject (and let you know) or hold (and keep you updated). You should hear from us within six weeks (probably sooner), with final decisions for this round in mid February. Flash may be quicker but novels will take longer (query after 90 days).
SUBSCRIBE TO RECEIVE WYLD FLASH AND OUR NEWSLETTER!